This is just to say…
- There are no legal arguments to justify a ban on same-sex marriage. The only arguments currently in play are wordy versions of this statement: “I find gay people icky.”
- This country was not founded by Christians; it was founded by rationalist Freemasons. The laws in this country are not Christian laws and it is not the courts’ responsibility to enforce a Christian perspective. A mosque deserves exactly the same legal protections as a church.
- The “Ground Zero Mosque” is neither at Ground Zero nor is it strictly a mosque, so please stop calling it that. And if you honestly believe having one “near Ground Zero” is an insult to the people that died on 9/11, you are implicitly agreeing with this statement: “Islam as a whole is responsible for the attacks.” If you believe that to be true, fine; just be intellectually honest about it.
- Repealing the 14th Amendment is impossible; anyone who suggests it can be done is suggesting it to score political points.
- There is no such thing as an “activist judge” that “overthrows the will of the people”. What is occasionally true is that the “will of the people” turns out to be “unconstitutional”, and when that happens it is the responsibility of a judge to make this determination. If laws in this country existed only to affirm the will of the majority, I guarantee you wouldn’t want to live here.
- Deficits and inflation are not as important as you think they are. But because they are hard numbers that can be studied, compared, and pointed to emphatically, they become easy pinatas for politicians and media alike. The truth is, to build–and rebuild–a healthy economy, there needs to be inflation, and the government needs to be directly involved in stimulating growth, which means operating in a deficit.
- Before demanding that the government get out of your life, try and keep this in mind: if there was no government, you would have no property. Property is not a gift from God, it’s an agreed-upon contract of rules of ownership created and supported by local and federal government. Everything you own is yours because you live in a country that allows you to own it.
- And finally: the government is not out of control; your freedoms are not being taken away from you (unless you’re a suspected terrorist); your taxes are not outrageous; you do not have to act now before this becomes Nazi Germany. What you do need to do is change the channel.